The Cros-de- Cagnes is just a landscape of swamps and stones. No roads between the chapel and the sea, only a few sheds meant to host the advanced fishermen who move there approximately twice a year with their family in order to make the most of the high quality fish in this isolated area (Cros meaning "Hollow").
In a small amount of time, those advanced fishermen get to settle on those privileged shores along with the young Cagnois who all decide to move there for the perks of the fishing business, an economic twist in the Cros-de-Cagnes.
Early in the 20th Century...
The Cros-de-Cagnes is now a small agglomeration with its official City Hall and its traditional fishermen houses. The citizens own their lands cultivating for their own needs.
In 1872 the School was created, followed by the creation of a bakery, hairdresser, grocery shop...And this is how it all became a typical provincial city where fishing is at its apogee.
During 1920 to 1960 the port was transformed in order to shelter the huge amount of boats docking in the Cros-de-Cagnes. The city is now the oldest lifeboat station of the French Riviera.
Despite the evolution of the « village like state of mind », the Cros-de-Cagnes kept its traditions and famous fishing port.
The village is now characterised by its juxtaposition of modernity and traditions. The Ancient port is being kept as it has always been but the nautical activities practicable all year long, beaches restaurants and commercial activities bring dynamism and modernity to this historical place.
The Cros-de-Cagnes is a source of sunshine and emotions along with its new « Promenade de la Plage » inaugurated in 2007.